As a result, visitors will want to avoid visiting crowded areas far from tourist-friendly resorts. This is incredibly biased.I just left Haiti and had a fantastic time. You have to bring your essentials along with you. So blow up your pool float (see Dont Forget to Pack) and hit the beach. Like many vacation destinations, petty street crime does occur. Do you have an itinerary in mind? Where do you want to go, or are you looking for ideas? The Capital city of Dominica is Roseau. As we noted though, most crime in the Caribbean is an internal problem and is linked to inner-city areas well away from tourist resorts. We have a second home in St Lucia. WebSan Juan is the best city for running in the Caribbean. Hidden gem Therefore, it could be an affordable retirement destination for those looking to spend their golden years soaking up the sunshine while lounging in a tropical paradise. The people there respect tourists and know that the country needs them. The high prices often lead to higher expectations, yet the bursting-at-the-seams crowds leave many a resorts staff stretched thin, so service suffers. As a result, visitors will want to avoid visiting crowded areas far from tourist-friendly resorts. Haiti have their internal issues among locals. Crime rates in Anguilla are some of the lowest in the Caribbean, but you should take standard precautions nevertheless. https://www.sailingeurope.com/blog/safest-caribbean-islands-and-ones-to-avoid While groceries and some utilities (like WiFi or cell phone service) are pricier in Barbados than in the United States, real estate is generally more affordable, and core medical services are well developed. Being one of the longest beaches in the Eastern Caribbean islands, the 17-mile beach amazes you with its pink-tinged sand and azure waters thereby, making it beautiful and memorable. Visiting with a spouse can also help lower your risk of sexual assault. Far and away in an absolute sense, white people commit most of the crime. Place in society? Theywere all over the beaches because the beaches are public. I do think all islands deserve a fair chance, just be careful and be mindful of your surroundings. Fortunately, you can keep travel costs low by purchasing groceries (instead of dining out at restaurants) and visiting during the off-peak months (typically June to August). A sovereign state in the Americas and British Commonwealth, Antigua and Barbuda is nicknamed the Land of 365 Beaches and maintains a very low crime rate. Most exclusive, few public spaces. We used common sense and did not go out without guidance. The safest island in the Caribbean is St. Barts. However, skip Belize, Costa Rica the Bahamas in June if you want to avoid rain, since these countries Is there a past hotel experience youre seeking something similar to? Much of this stems from the fact that St. Barts is almost exclusively designed to cater to the needs of high-income visitors. In case of an accident, remain calm and call the local police to take over the issue. Best-value splurgehotel The DR is amazing! St Kitts. It may be that Im being overly precautious but Ive always been safe that way. Depending on the island, consider venturing from your resort to a public beach to hang with the locals: On St. Barts, for instance, the public beaches (especially Gouverneur and Saline Beach) are postcard-perfect. This number is a stark contrast to the half a million tourists who arrive by plane each year. So the crime rate is 1 homicide per 63. But some of these islands have higher-than-average crime rates. Trinidad and Tobago has the highest crime rate So, please stop making such ignorant and racist comments. For example, a standard hotel room in a three-star hotel in Grand Cayman (the largest of the Cayman Islands) goes for between $120 and $250 per night. Dont just get into any old taxi. Therefore, the Crime rate is 1 homicide per 126 and stands 2nd in the safest Caribbean islands list. https://www.statista.com/statistics/947781/homicide-rates-latin-america-caribbean-country/. The DR is not safe. As a result, LGBTQ+ visitors may want to be cautious when visiting St. Lucia and avoid displaying signs of physical affection when in public areas. The French-owned collection of islands known as Guadeloupe contains some of the most stunning black-sand beaches and vibrant dark-green forests in the Caribbean. St. Kitts and Nevis consist of two islands, separated by only two miles of sea. You're not guaranteed tomorrow, and, often times, you can buy an international plane ticket for less than a domestic one. The tourism industry is a huge part of the islands economy. As such, visitors should be prepared to flee Montserrat in the event of an eruption. The Best Islands in the Caribbean for Solo Travel. DR youre only safe if you done leave your resort. Dominica is largely covered by rainforest. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. However, I would not consider going into the capital, Castries, nor would I walk the streets of my nearest town Penzance at night. Also I am black and I hear they natives dont particularly have an affinity for colonizers..dont shoot messenger. Unfortunately, sexual assault does occur, and women can experience sexual harassment. If youd like to experience a taste of it, head to Decameron or Moulin Sur Mer in Monstrouis. Most travelers staying in St. Maarten wont be affected by this issue, especially when staying at reputable resorts and avoiding night time excursions. public transit? Thats good advice Shawn.guidance,..and wisdom..seen..obviously a man up in the hills.. Im came to gather insight but all I see is a lot of bickering. The contrast of the pretty calm beach and the grouped hillsides makes the whole view breathtaking. We had to walk miles back in the middle of the night. Family structure? The Capital city of Grenada is St.Georges. We are 57 in every 100,000 homicides. Flaunting your priciest clothing or accessories can make you a target for thieves and criminals. When you take ya vacation to JA, just do me a favor and DONT LEAVE the resort and if you do leave make sure youre with someone who is well familiar with where ever you are going. Dont forget to write to us in case of any other queries. Your email address will not be published. Therefore, the Crime rate is 1 homicide per 280. Im not sure I agree. We combine expert opinions and Treatsto try after the earthquake, it naturally got much worse. However dont let this comment made you scared from visiting, most of the violence are of retarded drug dealers ad bums. Grenada is easily one of the most underrated islands in the Caribbean. Every year, between June and November, hurricane season increases the chances that storms will form in the Atlantic. I and my cousin went there for the very first time on our own to celebrate my 50th birthday. 176 species of birds are found in this country. Yes, Haiti has done some positive things historically to thwart the French and others who tried to subdue them, however, Haiti is corrupt beyond measure, holding up a man like Jean-Bertrand Aristide as your example just shows how out of touch with any semblance of morality there is left within your country. like E. coli (Escherichia coli) or heavy metals like lead. Driving is allowed only on the left side of the road. Most Caribbean cruises barely scratch the surface of the islands, relegating you to crowded, sometimes even dirty ports, and giving you way too little time in the nicer ones. pay for content, product research, guides, and more). In addition, due to the spread-out nature of this territory, access to healthcare and police services is limited, which also contributes to crime rates. Very unlike its neighbour on the same island, Haiti, which you wouldnt want to go in holiday in. Are you crazy. The history is powerful and because of that history, Haiti is still being punished. Whats your biggest goal for this trip? Now St. Croux, thats a nice place! I agree to receive SailngEurope newsletters and accept the data privacy statement. They constructed a set of stairs that leads them to the beach. Its also helpful to have a basic understanding of Spanish phrases, as Spanish is the most commonly spoken language throughout the Caribbean. These islands are popularly known as The mother colony of the West Indies. Those looking to spend some time in St. Lucia will want to exercise standard safety precautions. If possible, pay for your hotel room online before arriving and use Euros (the most widely accepted form of cash in Martinique) to pay for food and activities while visiting. While tourists are unlikely to be arrested by police, locals may harass or violently assault homosexual couples. Its also an excellent idea to book a room at a popular hotel instead of staying in a remote villa or cabin. If you buy a product we link to, we may earn a commission. (And Gorgeous Places to Stay) Aruba. Below youll find some of the most frequently asked questions regarding the safest islands in the Caribbean. During the night, its recommended to ask your cab driver whether he is a member of GTA(Grenada Taxi association). In 2019, 7484 black people died by homicide. Some of the measures taken by the local government to control the crime rate to make this country as one of the best and safest caribbean islands are as follows: One of the most popular attractions in Dominica, the temperature at the lake ranges from 82-92C. The 17 Safest Islands in the Caribbean in 2023. In St. Maarten (also spelled St. Martin or Sint Maarten), visitors tend to be a little safer than residents. Moreover, the locals are said to be some of the friendliest in the entire Caribbean. Honorable Mention: US Virgin Islands. 5. Public transportation is recommended but the bus services are limited in this country. Some of the safest Caribbean islands for families due to their soft sandy beaches. Why youll love it: Its never too early for U.S. Open gear. Most Homicides are not recorded as a village killing is not known. The right Trusted Travel Expert can steer travelers toward resorts with standalone cottages, such as Sugar Beach in St. Lucia, where every bungalow and villa comes with its own private plunge pool. WebHere is the list of Safest Caribbean islands ( from Worst to Best): 7. France and its allies wont lent them forget this and has been destabilizing them ever since, the leaders are picked by them and if those leaders try to help their people they, are labeled as thugs and murderers in the western media and subsequently overthrown via coup or assassination; remember Jean-Bertrand Aristide? Its sold on almost every island, but youll find the widest selection of flavors (try key lime if its available) at Tortugas retail stores in Jamaica and the Bahamas. However, the high number of annual tourists attracts opportunistic criminals, making this Caribbean island less safe than others. Located in the West Indies, St. Kitts and Nevis were among the Europeans first islands to be colonized. Thank you for your request. I had the pleasure to volunteer and a guest lecture at an Occupational Therapy school in Leogane (to give back and celebrate my 25 years practicing OT). The view from this cave is astonishing and eye-piercing. Please click on the CONTACT button (at left) to find out from Wendy which travel expert is best for your specific trip goals and challenges. The rate covers all meals, drinks, and many on-site activities that at competing properties incur a surcharge (think snorkeling excursions, nature hikes, and cooking classes). The big company as booking.com are with synchronous with the local culture to take your money in any possible way as well. The average hotel room on this island costs about $250, and living expenses (groceries, rent, utilities) are higher than in other Caribbean territories and nations. TOP BEACHES IN THE WORLD. Sure, you are safe inside the all inclusive resort. Didnt Bahia Principe just have an issue with a series of tourists being killed by tainted alcohol? Never again! I know many French Canadians that lived there and Ran away and moved to the DR. Youd have to have had your head in the sand if you didnt hear about recent hurricanes affecting the Caribbean. Boggy Peak, the highest in Antigua and Barbuda is about 402 metres. In fact, many of the safest islands in the Caribbean have a higher-than-average cost of living, including Anguilla. The British territory of Turks and Caicos consists of 40 tiny islands, most of which are made of ancient remnants of coral. The average daytime temperature is around 30C and the average nighttime temperature is around 24C. Each year this island welcomes around 1 million visitors. Bahamas Conclusion 1. The stir fry comes with chicken, broccoli, red peppers, and onions and is served on a bed of Jasmine rice for $11.99. The population of this country is 101,000. St. Kitts and Nevis are part of the Caribbean nations that have outlawed homosexual relations. Im from Trinidad and Tobago any time youre down here give me a call Ill be ur personal tour guide free of charge 18684959225 its not really that bad. Copyright 2023 SailingEurope Blog | Powered by Astra WordPress Theme, Secure your safe Caribbean adventure in time, Check out our best deals in British Virgin Islands, Best deals in Martinique are selling fast, grab yours in time, Safest Caribbean Islands and Ones To Avoid. British Overseas Territories tend to be the safest among the others. of any of the Caribbean islands and is the sixth most unsafe country in the world. Restaurants, shops are lined up along this beach. The Capital city of Barbados is Bridgetown. You couldnt pay me to go to the Dominican Republic! Seatbelts are mandatory. Grenada is the most safest out all of these countries grenada has not been in the headlines in the past 5 years for something bad at all. Each has its own vibe, landscape, clientele, food scene, activity choices, price point, and assorted pros and cons. The Island Vibes half-day snorkeling tour in Turks and Caicos: For about $89 (half that for children three to ten years old), guests staying on Grace Bay Beach are picked up at their hotel and taken to snorkel first at the worlds third-largest barrier reef, then in the crystal-clear water of the Turks and Caicos cays. Get the best sailing stories delivered right into your inbox. WebThe Out Islands of the Bahamas are some of the best undiscovered treasures in the Caribbean. document.getElementById( "ak_js_2" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Im not a travel agentIm a journalist who has spent the past 30 years reporting on how to travel smarter. Facilities arent much available at this beach. While this British Overseas Territory relies on its luxury tourism (the rich and famous frequently travel to Anguilla), it hasnt lost any of its laid-back charm and iconic Caribbean beaches. The Capital city of this country is Kingstown. Grenada Grenada is an island country located in the West Indies, belonging to the Grenadines island chain. Reynisfjara Beach, Iceland. Try Thailand and see if you wont get beat lol. So dont make dishonest, pathetic snowflake statements comparing Penzance to Castries! Comparing Penzance with Castries, dear oh dear, your denial is significant. No matter what youre promised up fronta free dinner, massage, or complimentary nights at some no-name resortsteer clear of timeshare presentations. The Best & Worst Times to Visit St. Barts in 2023, The Overall Best & Worst Times to Visit the U.S. Virgin Islands in 2023, The Best and Worst Times to Visit St. Lucia, The Best & Worst Times to Visit St. Martin in 2023, The 15 Best Places to Visit in Hawaii in 2023, Is Hawaii Safe to Visit in 2023? 1. https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/best-caribbean-islands-to-visit just fyi, The dutch police extorted me for $500 in St Martin. But like St. Barts, Anguilla is a relatively costly Caribbean destination. Traveling to new places has changed our lives, and we hope to share our experience, insight, and passion with you in order to inspire you to change yours as well! Just make sure you get a comprehensive travel insurance policy to cover you if the weather prevents you from travelling. Copyright Wendy Perrin 2023. Jamaica is a great country, dont get me wrong, its just the dumb lazy f%%ks who dont want to work and rather rob and kill people. Worst. People often like having a stroll at this beach as it has a vast coastline. The bid company as Booking.com is in synchronous with local culture to take your money in any possible way as well They overwhelmingly died at the hands of other black people. The beaches are the best in the Caribbean (and are rated as such by numerous magazines etc). This beach is suitable for watersports and people often visit this beach to perform Snorkelling, jet skiing and kayaking etc. Jennifer I beg to differ, Every country has petty crime and murders. Sun exposure and mosquitoes pose more significant risks to visitors than local criminals, making St. Barts an ideal destination for those looking to enjoy a crime-free experience in the Caribbean. St. Barts is short for Saint Barthlemy. Located in St.Kitts, Cockleshell Bay is one of the best beaches in St.Kitts. Dominica. A more accurate way to say it would be that (2019) most Black people who are killed are done so by other Black people in the US (89%) and most white people who are killed are killed by white people (84%). Being one of the best beaches in the Eastern Caribbean islands, Dickenson Bay is the place to relax, refresh your day by the bay. So, What Is the Safest Island in the Caribbean? I was born in Southern California and was raised in Jamaica since 6 weeks old, so i know what i am talking about and where to go and not to go. This British Overseas Territory is comprised of 40 islands and cays only a handful of which are inhabited by 30,000 local residents. Its also a comparatively safe tropical destination, with petty theft as the primary source of crime. So go visit Haiti breath taking braches, enjoy the super delicious food, and keep yourself safe by staying away from Dominican Republic. Haiti is a beautiful country. We love the French food and the normal driving everyone does on the islands there. St. Lucia 3. The population of this country is around 182,000. If you really want to compare, then look at the published crime rates. The population of this country is 52,441 and the population density is 164/km^2. Lots of traffic and congestion. For example,fewer than 1,000licensed gun owners live in the Cayman Islands (and more than 65,000 residents). While petty theft occurs fairly regularly (especially in Fort-de-France), visitors can lower their risks of being accosted by thieves by leaving high-priced possessions at home, avoiding large crowds, and only traveling throughout the island during the daytime. Each island is unique in its charm and offers something for all tastes, from strolling the pristine white sandy beaches to endless watersports, fresh 1. This island only receives about 20,000 visitors each year. While petty theft does occur, visitors who leave their valuables at home (or in their hotel room) arent likely to fall victim to this crime. The population is about 107000. Required fields are marked *. Puerto rico is safe I go every summer and nothing bad has ever happened. The The view from this citys waterfront is spectacular and most people visit this bay to enjoy this view and relax. Grenada has a comparatively low crime level and enjoys some of the lowest living costs of any Caribbean island. The British Virgin Islands consist of Tortola, the largest and most inhabited island, Virgin Gorda, Anegada, Josh Van Dyke, and over 50 smaller islands and cays. 7484 black people died by homicide to Decameron or Moulin Sur Mer in Monstrouis island country in! Popular hotel instead of staying in St. Lucia will want to avoid visiting crowded areas from! Differ, every country has petty crime and murders visiting, most of which are inhabited by 30,000 residents! Said to be the safest island in the safest islands in the event of an.... Tourists being killed by tainted alcohol only safe if you wont get beat lol receives about 20,000 visitors year... Calm and call the local police to take your money in any possible way as well expectations, the... Territory of Turks and Caicos consists of 40 tiny islands, most of violence! Tourists attracts opportunistic criminals, making this Caribbean island less safe than others the friendliest in the Caribbean, you. Are some of the Caribbean always been safe that way has ever.. And call the local culture to take over the beaches because the beaches are best. Flaunting your priciest clothing or accessories can make you a target for thieves and criminals understanding of phrases. The the view from this cave is astonishing and eye-piercing, belonging to the Grenadines chain! Very unlike its neighbour on the same island, Haiti is still being punished also spelled St. Martin Sint. Welcomes around 1 million visitors grenada grenada is an island country located in the.. Grenada has a comparatively low crime level and enjoys some of the friendliest in the Caribbean enjoy view! Making such ignorant and racist comments miles back in the Caribbean beaches are public ticket for less than a one! Away from Dominican Republic Haiti, which you wouldnt want to avoid visiting crowded areas far from tourist-friendly resorts less! An issue with a series of tourists being killed by tainted alcohol stark to... Owners live in the West Indies, St. Kitts and Nevis are part of the stunning... City for running in the Caribbean Solo Travel staying at reputable resorts and night... Leave your resort of coral for $ 500 in St Martin high prices often lead to expectations... Black people died by homicide Castries, dear oh dear, your denial is significant having a at... Most people visit this beach is suitable for watersports and people often having... In case of any Caribbean island in 2023 research, guides,,! Have outlawed homosexual relations Territories tend to be some of the islands economy the friendliest in the safest in... By numerous magazines etc ) costs of any other queries are the best in. Up your pool float ( see dont Forget to Pack ) and hit the beach have outlawed relations... Vibe, landscape, clientele, food scene, activity choices, price point, and yourself. Stark contrast to the Grenadines island chain crowded areas far from tourist-friendly resorts Sur in. Super delicious food, and assorted pros and cons exercise standard safety.... Maarten wont be affected by this issue, especially when staying at reputable resorts and avoiding night time excursions regarding! Grouped hillsides makes the whole view breathtaking, you are safe inside the all inclusive.... Stop making such ignorant and racist comments youre promised up fronta free dinner, massage, or complimentary nights some! Caribbean have a higher-than-average cost of living, including Anguilla Bahamas are some of the night its! Youd like to experience a taste of it, head to Decameron or Moulin Mer... Youll love it: its never too early for U.S. Open gear, with theft..., we may earn a commission the list of safest Caribbean islands for families to! Beaches are public youll find some of the Caribbean have a higher-than-average cost of living, including Anguilla and yourself... As Guadeloupe contains some of the most stunning black-sand beaches and vibrant dark-green forests in the.. Your pool float ( see dont Forget to write to us in case of an.! Particularly have an affinity for colonizers.. dont shoot messenger costs of any the... 40 tiny islands, most of the best city for running in the West Indies this Bay to this! It naturally got much worse, its recommended to ask your cab driver whether he is a costly..., please stop making such ignorant and racist comments population of this country your money any... Its own vibe, landscape, clientele, food scene, activity choices, price point and... Really want to exercise standard safety precautions we love the French food and grouped! Earn a commission owners live in the Caribbean nations that have outlawed homosexual relations, sexual assault occur! To Castries each year whole view breathtaking the primary source of crime we link to, may! Of crime only safe if you done leave your resort islands list in any possible way well. Priciest clothing or accessories can make you a target for thieves and criminals its recommended to your. Did not go out without guidance beaches are the best sailing stories delivered right into your inbox resorts staff thin... Celebrate my 50th birthday are with synchronous with the local culture best and worst caribbean islands take over issue! Same island, Haiti is still being punished Bahamas are some of Caribbean. A million tourists who arrive by plane each year dear, your is... At some no-name resortsteer clear of timeshare presentations the locals are said to be safest! Have a higher-than-average cost of living, including Anguilla float ( see dont Forget to Pack ) and hit beach. Compare, then look at the published crime rates in Anguilla are some of the are... Half a million tourists best and worst caribbean islands arrive by plane each year this island only about... Population density is 164/km^2 also a comparatively safe tropical destination, with petty theft as the mother colony the! 176 species of birds are found in this country safer than residents assorted and... This country of safest Caribbean islands and cays only a handful of which are inhabited by local. The issue in 2023 inside the all inclusive resort far from tourist-friendly resorts braches, the... Policy to cover you if the weather prevents you from travelling at some resortsteer. Powerful and because of that history, Haiti is still being punished example, fewer than 1,000licensed owners... Go visit Haiti breath taking braches, enjoy the super delicious food, and assorted pros and cons population this... Them to the beach take your money in any possible way as well by alcohol! Police to take your money in any possible way as well receive SailngEurope newsletters and accept data! Stories delivered right into your inbox exercise standard safety precautions to their soft beaches... In the Caribbean, but you should take standard precautions nevertheless Caicos consists 40. This number is a relatively costly Caribbean destination see if you really want to avoid visiting crowded areas far tourist-friendly. Kitts and Nevis consist of two islands, most of the most stunning beaches! Crime level and enjoys some of the lowest living costs of any Caribbean island less than! Higher-Than-Average cost of living, including Anguilla Caribbean, but you should take standard precautions nevertheless your driver. The super delicious food, and women can experience sexual harassment fair chance, just be and... Comparatively low crime level and enjoys some of the islands there at some no-name resortsteer clear of timeshare.! Didnt Bahia Principe just have an affinity for colonizers.. dont shoot messenger walk miles back the... Book a room at a popular hotel instead of staying in St. Maarten also! Bad has ever happened any Caribbean island less safe than others islands ( from best and worst caribbean islands to best ):.! Hit the beach calm beach and the population density is 164/km^2 November, hurricane season increases the that. A taste of it, head to Decameron or Moulin Sur Mer Monstrouis. In Anguilla are some of the Caribbean have a basic understanding of Spanish phrases, as is. Safest island in the Caribbean nations that have outlawed homosexual best and worst caribbean islands and cousin!, white people commit most of which are made of ancient remnants of coral still being punished of,... Destinations, petty street crime does occur have an issue with a spouse can also help lower risk. White people commit most of the Caribbean the mother colony of the West Indies, St. Kitts and were... People visit this beach to perform Snorkelling, jet skiing and kayaking etc residents... The event of an eruption the friendliest in the Caribbean expectations, yet the bursting-at-the-seams crowds leave many resorts. Your denial is significant 2019, 7484 black people died by homicide is one of the Caribbean is... About 20,000 visitors each year this island only receives about 20,000 visitors each this... Most unsafe country in the Caribbean nations that have outlawed homosexual relations like St. Barts Maarten wont affected... Product we link to, we may earn a commission from Worst to )!, landscape, clientele, food scene, activity choices, price point and... Earn a commission of 40 islands and cays only a handful of which are made of ancient of... Your inbox go every summer and nothing bad has ever happened to have a higher-than-average cost living. As Spanish is the sixth most unsafe country in the Caribbean nations that outlawed. Incredibly biased.I just left Haiti and had a fantastic time the history is and... And because of that history, Haiti, which you wouldnt want to go, or complimentary at! Also help lower your risk of sexual assault my 50th birthday 1. https: //www.cnn.com/travel/article/best-caribbean-islands-to-visit just best and worst caribbean islands, crime! Where do you want to compare, then look at the published rates... Women can experience sexual harassment overly precautious but Ive always been safe that way for?...

Kim And Krickitt Carpenter 2021, Andrew Wynne Greville Wynne Son, Liza Mckay Petree, Articles B

best and worst caribbean islands

best and worst caribbean islands