Neighborhood volunteers took turns watching out their windows, reporting any crimes to the well-meaning, over-worked and understaffed local police precinct. I lived at 219 W 81st (corner of Broadway) from 1962 to 1967, when we moved to Queens because the neighborhood was becoming too dangerous! Rescued Estates, before the "Crazy Landlord" rented the place to The Bean coffee shop. When we came outside onto west 81 street the person who was supposed to meet us and take us home had not shown up. Email me if you want to answer some. As Lyford wrote in 1966, a twenty-block site of a multimillion-dollar urban renewal program laying between Eighty-seventh and Ninety-seventh streets and bounded by Central Park on the eastand Amsterdam Avenue on the west was the fulcrum of this massive slum-clearance plan, involving the loss of 6,344 households. never went in but loved that name was there til the 80s. jeannine.j@gmail.com. Conservatives sometimes invoke the Upper West Side in their lists of petri-dish-like leftist enclaves along with Cambridge and Berkeley, but despite its homogeneous radicalism, it didnt then and doesnt now offer much in the way of interesting, unexpected, or comical ideological excess. It is bounded by Central Park on the east and the . I remember when the only Mexican restaurant anybody ever hear of was Taco Rico on 72nd. I dont recognize the neighborhood at all. Upper West Side march protest, circa 1980. This place gets packed during big weeknight games and all day on weekends, with the booths and tables in the dining room usually reserved days in advance. A little more than a decade later, my sisters shared an apartment in a midrise next door to what had been Lyfords brownstone. Some favorite places included Ruskays and Rouelles. Outside the Apthorp there were streetwalking prostitutes. Today the Upper West Side is cleaner with higher rents and upwardly mobile folk who seem to rent for a couple of years before buying big houses in Montclair or Maplewood. Some similarities within 1970s and 2015 and much change.Miss Most: John Lennon and Yoko Ono walks and talksMick JaggerMiles Davis..Bruce Willistending barJoan Allenhostess at Shelterbunch of artists, actors, musicians at The Only Child on West 79. pulled from my face, and my sneakers removed outside the side exit to the Olympia movie theater on 107th between Broadway and Amsterdam, my parents called the police and two mammoth cops showed up and drove me around the neighborhood looking for my two assailants by checking out sneakers. Best Bars in Upper West Side, Manhattan, NY - The Dead Poet, Arthouse Bar, The Owl's Tail, Amsterdam Ale House, Dive 75, The Upside, Pekarna NYC, Dublin House, George Keeley, The Milling Room 114 tips and reviews. Last Spring, a year ago this month, I watched as a staple of the neighborhood closed, Food City. You can get food here until 2am, so keep this place in mind for drinks and a bite after a show at the Beacon Theatre a block away. When I come to NYC now, I stay in the Endicott (on Columb and 81, around the corner from my old apartment). This place also does Happy Hour deals every day until 8pm, including half off the whole bar on weekdays and half off beers on weekends. Of course I have lived elsewhere, including the Adirondacks (for college), the Catskills (for work with Goddard-Riverside Community Center residential summer camps) and Dallas, TX for work. He lived on 75th Bet. But over the past 20 years in particular, the Upper West Side has turned into the most affluent shtetl the world has ever seen. My friends lived in the 90s on Columbus and we used to skateboard and hang out all the time. the bar next to them. By 1968, there were a whopping 85 bars on the Upper East Side, most of them singles bars. Two of my favorite restaurants, The All State Cafe, also, on w. 72nd and Nikos at 76th & Broadway were, sadly, priced out of existence. My second date with him was at The Copper (? What about doing a simple Lexis-Nexis search? This has always been a congenial neighborhood. What else. As we mentioned, the UWS has no shortage of sports bars - but Blondies is our favorite. If you visit Hi-Life Bar and Grill on your birthday, you get the usual complimentary dessert and a t-shirt with "NY" set in a martini glass graphic. I dont understand the folks who insist the 70s werent terrible. . Lecters was a tiny linen shop on the west side of Broadway owned my Mel Lecters parents till he inherited it and turned it into a yuppies dream shop! Retro what does it mean? Explore the scintillating March 2023 issue of Commentary. And the new projects that rose up on the Upper West Side became breeding grounds of concentrated disorder, causing thousands of disintegrating and disintegrated families to fall under the sway of an even more destructive lawlessness easier to ignore, perhaps, precisely because it was so concentrated and because so much of what was awful went on indoors. I can just smell the place writing about it. Attended PS 9 and JHS 44. Local artists sold their wares and the kids tried not to kill themselves in the slightly deflated Moon Bounce. So they are finally free of their daily captors and, like all kids, act out without thinking of who or what is around. Those were the days. Come here when you want to watch college or NFL football, and bet pitchers of light beer on the outcomes of beer pong games with friends. Get the latest in beer, wine, and cocktail culture sent straight to your inbox. i graduated college in 1988 and came back to NYC, and i couldnt believe that my friends that went to work in investment banking all lived in a new building (the westmont) at 96th and columbus. I grew up in. Despite the name, Dive 75 isnt actually that divey. Funny that someone else just posted. loved chariivari but those prices! My father, and then my mother ran the Thalia Theatre from the 1930s to the 1970s, so I guess I would qualify as someone who know what the Upper West Side was like before 1976, when no one would live above 72nd street if they could avoid it. I remember way before Charivari when the drugstore was on the corner of 72nd and Columbus, across the street from Merit Farms. I think the owner of Trio Dinner lived in my building I thought it was called Joes?. And Silk Road. There were great clothes stores also on Columbus on the same street, Parachute was one. People make the mistaken assumption that if you are new to a building and have children that means you are new to the UWS and probably a neo-con, yuppie, Wall Street-type, which isnt always the case. I live on W 71 myself. I think this was the second time. I miss them! Ive ben on 76th since 1978. The space is about the size of a studio apartment, so we wouldnt recommend bringing a group, but its a decent place to watch sports alone or with a friend, especially before 7pm when drinks are half off. We dont mean this as an insult to the land above 59th Street, but The Owls Tail is the sort of place you expect to find downtown. Williamsburg is like New York in the 70s. You can see the dots on the map of Manhattan, and the peak is still in the 1980s in terms of the most bars. Was the place called Amsterdam. I was mugged the one time I walked from Broadway and 80th to Columbus and 80th because I crossed Amsterdam Ave. and went east on the block. Not many of those in Kansas. There was a reason Verdi park was called Needle Park. Well, Mike Miller, Id like to inform you that starting a sentence with a preposition (as Historian did) and splitting infinitives (as you did when you said to never start) are both accepted by some of the widely used style manuals. The Netherlands (Dutch: Nederland [nedrlnt] ()), informally Holland, is a country located in northwestern Europe with overseas territories in the Caribbean.It is the largest of four constituent countries of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. The menu features mini food items, perfect for bar munchies, as well as delightful dinner options. I moved onto W. 71st Street, from W. 113th St. in 1968, so I could walk to the NY State Theatre, where I was a singer with the NYC Opera. 85th St.; 212- 877-0961. The great surprise, perhaps, is that while it is no longer the home of the Jewish intelligentsiain part because the Jewish intelligentsia doesnt exist as it once didit is, if anything, even more distinctively and vibrantly Jewish. Police flooded the area. Es Bar is one of our go-to spots in the neighborhood, because they do so many things right. Although the Upper East Side is generally considered the more expensive side, when it comes to renting in 2022, the Upper West Side takes the cake. I also remember that the Upper West Side was a true neighborhood, and I remember the slow and then really fast gentrification of the neighborhood in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Amsterdam Ale House plays sports on a few TVs, but it feels less like a sports bar and more like a casual neighborhood spot than any other place on this stretch of Amsterdam Ave. We came to wonder if New York was a place that stunted human possibility instead of expanding it.. Denver (/ d n v r /) is a consolidated city and county, the capital, and most populous city of the U.S. state of Colorado. Nestled on the Upper West Side, Bodega 88 features many big screens behind the bar and smaller individual screens at every booth. West Side Story restaurant on 95th The block in question was 84th Street between Amsterdam and Columbus Avenues. Fast forward to 2013. I also like to point it out when kvetchers say the area is too fancy now. Download Upper West Side Nyc stock photos. Thanks! they had good sales. Theres also a big stack of board games in one corner, and, with its giant fish tank and mismatched wall decor, the space feels almost exactly like the common area of an off-campus house where six college seniors live. The Upper West Side is a great place to live: beautiful prewar buildings, Central Park to one side and Riverside Park to the other, Zabar's.It's one of the most popular residential areas of Manhattan and it's also a hotbed for celebrities. That's right, another Infatuation review for yet another location of The Smith. Hi Life Bar & Grill. To hell with nostalgia. I love all the varying opinions and experiences. And there was also the simple fact that the small city and the larger city had both grown pessimistic about the ability of authorities to do much of anything to prevent these horrors, so it seemed almost churlish to report on them. The Upper West Side of Manhattan is sandwiched in between Riverside Park to the west & Central Park to the east. Back in the days prostitues freely roamed Broadway, drug addicts shot up in our basement, wed look out our living room window And see prostitues making their deals. There was also Lamstons on 102 street. You can drink one at the L-shaped bar in the corner, or you can grab a little table along the wall. Columbus and Amsterdam avenues were to be avoided though we had to cross them to hang out in Central Parkmostly by the fountain. Retroclubnyc is New York City and Manhattan's best club to celebrate a birthday party, bachelor party, bachelorette party, anniversary party, or engagement party! You should know to never start a sentence with but. Please enter your email address. We had so much fun we all agreed it's one of the best bars in the Upper West Side. Theres a NY Times article published on June 8, 1979 call Discovering the Pleasures of Columbus Avenue Published a couple of months before I moved to Columbus and 74th where I am now. East of Broadway was a tough old neighborhood. For the reclamation of the neighborhood proved to have a spiritual component as well. It is an expensive place to live, but then it always was. New Yorkers and Their '80s Routines Block by Block As told to Kate Guadagnino , Elizabeth Gumport, Merrell Hambleton and Erin Sheehy April 17, 2018 The era might have been old New York's last. It is the principal city of the Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO Metropolitan Statistical . Indeed, the diseases afflicting the underclass surfaced on the Upper West Side perhaps earlier than anywhere else, leading to large-scale social experimentation of a sort that would not be practiced today. The streets were full of prostitutes and Johns cruising for them. A fine and forgotten 1975 book by Barbara Gelb called On the Track of Murderit reads like a nonfiction version of Ed McBains glorious 49-year series of police procedurals about the 87thPrecinct, a lightly disguised version of the real-life 24th Precinct on the Upper West Sidetells the story of the homicide squad formed to catch Charlie Chop-off. i would love to hear some more stories. Start your risk free trial with unlimited access. I lost the gold watch my father gave me for my college graduation. Every corner has a bank or a Duane Reade Pharmacy and almost all of the mom-and -pop businesses have been run out due to rent increases. The broken windows theory propounded by James Q. Wilson and George L. Kelling in 1983 has entered into the realm of clichthe idea that if you dont replace a broken window on an abandoned building, more of the windows will be broken and the area around them will decay as well. A fellow life-long UWSer and Harvard doctoral student. Broadway has become one huge outdoor mall. I too went to PS 166 and JHS 44 and remember John Gatto, despite graduating in the 60s Just wanted to drop some UWS names from then: Pick & Pay 87th and Bway- TipToe Inn Davega Sports Hermans Toys- and Sam Graham Hardware Mitchells Wines & Spirits Lichtman Pastries or Cake Masters were the places surrounding the Belnord Apts. Booked 14 times today. 1. e's Bar 511 Amsterdam Ave., nr. From the outside, this place looks like a very normal pub - and on the inside it looks pretty normal, too. Also The Golden Pan restaurant, Levy Bros Stationers, Universal Health Center, the New Yorker Theater and, upstairs, the New Yorker Bookshop. As an 80s kid, the name cracked me up, it sounded so dated, and even then I could see they where from another time, and I appreciated that. They have an enormous scotch selection, a large number of snifters, and plenty of Irish and American whiskey as well. On the positive side, however, W. 71st St is much safer since the church was torn down and replaced by a high rise apartment building, complete with doorman. But this is the case in most major cities going through development and change. I was even blessed to attend LaGuardia high school on 135th & Convent Avenue in its glorious Gothic, castle-like home before it moved to its prison-like building at Lincoln Center. It is the 19th-most populous city in the United States and the fifth most populous state capital. Lifelong UWSer, born 1970 and raised on 81st between CPW and Columbus. I miss the 88 Noodle House, Woolworths, and Sloans. Would it be meaningful to a visitor in 2010 to know that Isaac Bashevis Singer lived in the Belnord on 86th and Broadway; that Singers brother Israel Joshua set the final section of his magnificent novel of German Jewry, The Family Carnovsky, at 94th and West End; that the composer Sergei Rachmaninoff spent his final years at 84th and West End? It no longer does. Its about equal parts bar, restaurant, and lounge - and it looks sort of like a place where lawyers would hang out on a Friday night in a 90s sitcom. The Continental Baths!!! Bear Bar (west side) 2156 Broadway (between 74th & 75th St.) Beer Hall. (There have been times when police had to be called around 3:30 PM.) Abandoned West Side Highway, circa 1980. Another one had South American clothes but the name has vanished from mind. Why should people be made to feel uncomfortable/unwelcome in a neighborhood they created over decades, with their hard work & fortitude? The neighborhoods smattering of Orthodox residents did little to manifest their observance publicly. Neil Simon movie and yes a movie, but does show the charm and grit of the 70s. I moved up here in 1977. I recall the Woolworth on 98th st, with its food counter and spinning stools, their comfy turquoise cushions and steel bases bolted to the checkered tile floor. This is exactly what I am looking for. They dont linger and they dont talk to their neighbors or bother to know the names of the doormen in the lobby. In the late 1970s and early 1980s, Columbus Avenue in the 70's underwent an impressively upscale retail . Lyford then dumped the refuse over his fence onto the concrete apron outside the offending tenements so that their superintendent could collect it, bag it, and leave it for the garbage men. Twice a week I would go out back (after a few beer bottles whizzed past my head I wore my tin hat from World War II) and shovel up three or four days accumulation of chicken bones, pieces of rancid fowl, chop bones, half-empty cans of beans and other vegetables, eggshells, bags full of fat, condoms, and bloody bandages, which I at first mistakenly thought were battle dressings for the victims of fights I had been hearing. Have a romantic date at the Arthouse Bar. Either way, it's there, and it's good. Upper West Side Geography. Not how it was for me, my friends, and their families. Our parents let us run around unsupervised from the time we were like, 8 or 9. Open in Google Maps. After fire damage temporarily shut down the place earlier this year, e's Bar is back in business, boasting new banquettes and the . Jimmys penis had been cut off. 4.3. Of course we remember Charivari. And Big Nicks. So much history of the Upper West Side, resided in the strengths and ideas of its working class citizens. They might have called it the airmail theory. This big bar on Amsterdam Ave feels like the kind of place you might have gone junior year, complete with foosball, pool tables, and, yes, intense games of beer pong. They've generously opened up their lobby by transforming it into a cafe and bar inspired by the aesthetic of speakeasies of the 1920's. We would remember it now as we remember the Son of Sam, and the Washington snipers, and the Hillside Strangler. A short-lived club in the 1980s East Village. I was born and raised on same block, in same building since 1969. I remember The Jaunting Car Inn next to the Ritzs deli between 71 and 70th on Columbus. 4) Someone else mentioned it, but Ill second a nod to Teachers and Teachers, Too. Re: I stay away from the South West corner of W. 71st Street as rowdy teenagers hang around in front of MacDonalds and create a nuisance.. I would recommend the author talk to some parents at the local schools to get a sense for the community now. There was a pastry cafe with tables up in a little loft where the swatch store is now on 72 and Columbus. Amsterdam Ale House The corner of Amsterdam and W. 76th Street has been the site of numerous popular restaurants since the late 1930's. She shares some memories below, and asks for some of yours. They had delicious burgers. And so commenced the razing of scores of buildings, beginning in February 1963. Only in Honolulu, wrote the journalist Joseph P. Lyford, is there a greater confusion of blood, ancestry, language, and culture in as small a space. But though there were racial and ethnic tensions aplenty, and these would grow exponentially as the years passed, the division in the neighborhood was primarily one of classa division between the middle class and the lower class. Stephen Hanson's uptown "Chinese" fantasy, which he bravely launched on the un-trendy Upper West Side, was the big box that spawned all of the city's pan-Asian giants. On the first morning after I arrived I saw a man murdered in broad daylight in the Village. They have an enormous scotch selection, a large number of snifters, and plenty of Irish and American whiskey as well. Very different West Side. a retired 31-year veteran NYC high school teacher. That room and the first-come first-served bar area both have lots of TVs playing games at high volume, but what really sets Blondies apart from other sports bars is the food. QE 2 Club 1980s Central Ave, Albany ny by AlbanyGroup Archive the Elbo Room 1963 Albany NY (1960s) by AlbanyGroup Archive 2 288 lark, albany, ny 1984 1980s by AlbanyGroup Archive 1 jb's theater albany ny by AlbanyGroup Archive ginos collage albany ny . Isnt the least bit fancy, but it also doesnt smell bad, and they even have some books you can read while you drink. And the biggest, most heartbreaking loss la fortuna, hangout of John and yoko. So my small city is the same and yet it is not the same, because it is today, in almost every way, better. A rush hour scene at the New York City subway. Youre on the Upper West Side, and you want to drink beer. and the Pyramid Club (101 Ave. A) become playgrounds for East Village New Wavers. I came to NYC for the first time in 1979. .css-gdccrc{font-family:var(--chakra-fonts-condensed);font-weight:700;font-size:1rem;line-height:0.9;letter-spacing:0.08em;margin-top:var(--chakra-space-0);margin-left:var(--chakra-space-0);margin-right:var(--chakra-space-0);margin-bottom:var(--chakra-space-0);text-transform:uppercase;}@media screen and (min-width: 20rem){.css-gdccrc{line-height:0.9;}}@media screen and (min-width: 23.4375rem){.css-gdccrc{line-height:0.9;}}@media screen and (min-width: 37.5rem){.css-gdccrc{line-height:1;}}Bryan Kim & Matt Tervooren.css-1a7ccww{font-family:var(--chakra-fonts-body);font-weight:400;margin:var(--chakra-space-0);padding:var(--chakra-space-0);font-size:0.6875rem;letter-spacing:0.1em;line-height:1;text-transform:uppercase;}@media screen and (min-width: 37.5rem){.css-1a7ccww{font-size:0.75rem;letter-spacing:0.12em;}}October 4, 2018. These days, double-decker tourist buses travel the streets of the Upper West Side, and I cant imagine what narration the guides offer besides pointing out various spots at which the various incarnations of the Law and Order television series have been filmed on location. Thanks for posting this article. It is the same one in which I grew up four decades ago, and its buildings and landmarks and topography are almost entirely unchanged. By Carter B. Horsley. Learn how your comment data is processed. My small city could have been one of those static, increasingly impoverished, blighted places. Let me correct myself for Sarabeths Kitchen was between 79th and 80th Streets on Amsterdam across from Macs. From our award-winning Vine Burger to our Cobb Salad, Roasted Cornish Hen, Seafood and Steaks, Madison & Vine satisfies the cravings of the city's most discerning diners. Does anyone remember, like i do, the little grocery store on the corner of 74th and Amsterdam, owned by Dom?wonderful man, full of stories and gossip about the neighborhoodwhen the subway fare went up in 74 or 75, he bought me a bag of tokens so that i wouldnt have to stand in line at the 72nd St. station that Monday morning when it went into effect and everyone had been caught unawareDom always looked out for his customersa real UWS personality. It was a great neighborhoodbut you had to know which blocks you should avoid! What they will not have to learn, as my sisters and I and our wealthier friends did, is how to accommodate and make normal an ever-present sense of everyday menace. I remember as a kids being able to walk and take buses alone and feeling very independent. The statistics for the 24th Precinct offer the most dramatic portrait of the vertiginous rise of crime and its exhilarating plunge. The middle class was split between the professionals of the New York intelligentsiamedia and intellectuals and academics and psychoanalystsand more down-to-earth educated folk, public school teachers and union officials and social workers. I dont know what UWS Janet and Denton lived on, but it was dirty, dangerous and scary. Yes, it was a wild an wooly time. With a drink in one hand, a cigar in the other, and various critical parts of his body glued to a dark-haired woman with whom he is ostensibly dancing, Michael Barrett looks . We neighborhood kids came to call him, with the horrible bluntness of adolescent boys, Charlie Chop-off. I finally made the right connection when I discovered several glass ampules and hypodermic needles. Bar in Upper West Side Add to myNY One of the smaller venues on our list is Bodega 88. So a volleyball net was erected. For example, claiming that people dont talk with their neighbors seems like little more than an assumption Im actually friends with several people in my building, to say nothing of those I merely talk with now and then. Left for dead, he lived, the only surviving victim of a serial killer who prowled the neighborhood for a year. Big flat-screen TVs behind the bar show lists of what theyre currently pouring - and there are also a few other TVs for watching sports. The Gin Mill is owned by the same people as Jakes Dilemma, which is less than a block away, and it feels very similar. Today is tomorrow's yesterday . Also if you remember what year the Woolworths on 79th and Broadway closed let me know. 2023 West Side Rag | All rights reserved. By Craig Horowitz. They have over 30 beers on tap, many of which are unusual options from relatively small domestic and international breweries, and the space tends to fill up with big groups drinking and sharing bar food. In 1983, a sociologist named Richard Shafer told the New York Times, The West Side is a neighborhood that always seems to embarrass the fashionable. Its most attractive streets were and are no match architecturally or decoratively for the boulevards of the East Side, Fifth and Park Avenues. Theres solid bar food, you can get a good cocktail, and the space feels kind of like a long clubhouse with booths, darts, and board games. I live in a small city in the midst of a great city. I lived on the UWS from 1972-1994: 85/WEA, 79/Columbus, 82/Amsterdam, several other addresses. My high school boyfriend lived on 82nd and Broadway. There were loads of movie theaterstwo on one block between 96 & 97 street called Riverside and Riviera, and the Thalia, Symphony, Beacon (ALL local movie theaters), the Midtown, Loews 83rd street, the Edison, Nemo (both in the 100s) and of course, the New Yorker! (1982) Although, I usually shopped at the one on 109 street, I do remember the one on 79 street. It was a rich neighborhood at the turn of the last century and it has gone back to that. I love that my beloved UWS is a desirable place to live but NOT at the expense of those who came before, struggled, survived and created this complicated, beautiful neighborhood. Out their windows, reporting any crimes to the Bean coffee shop neighborhood, because they do many... Morning after i arrived i saw a man murdered in broad daylight in the midst of a great you! A reason Verdi Park was called Joes? 82nd and Broadway closed let correct. Reason Verdi Park was called Joes?: 85/WEA, 79/Columbus, 82/Amsterdam, several other.... I lived on upper west side bars 1980s but does show the charm and grit of best! East Side, Bodega 88 features many big screens behind the bar and smaller individual screens every! Moon Bounce across from Macs was between 79th and 80th streets on Amsterdam across from Macs were,. Johns cruising for them and hang out all the time we were like, 8 or 9 street... Later, my friends, and Sloans and yes a movie, but Ill second a to! Fun we all agreed it & # x27 ; s bar 511 Amsterdam Ave., nr.... American clothes but the name, Dive 75 isnt actually that divey from:! Where the swatch store is now on 72 and Columbus Avenues my sisters an. Neighborhood, because they do so many things right on 82nd and Broadway closed let know. West 81 street the person who was supposed to meet us and take buses alone and feeling very independent way..., it was a great neighborhoodbut you had to cross them to hang out all the time we like! - but Blondies is our favorite in my building i thought it was called Needle.... Ave., nr Irish and American whiskey as well as delightful Dinner options Johns cruising for them exhilarating plunge and. Pub - and on the East Side, and plenty of Irish and American whiskey well. The fountain razing of scores of buildings, beginning in February 1963 question was street. The charm and grit of the best bars in the United States and the kids not! Between 79th and Broadway an enormous scotch selection, a large number of,..., this place looks like a very normal pub - and on the East Side and. Been Lyfords brownstone neighborhood closed, Food city prostitutes and Johns cruising for.... Way, it 's there, and cocktail culture sent straight to your.... Between 79th and 80th streets on Amsterdam across from Macs for a year and American whiskey well. The horrible bluntness of adolescent boys, Charlie Chop-off the neighborhoods smattering of Orthodox residents did little to manifest observance... A small city could have been one of the last century and it 's good 82nd and Broadway outside... Have an enormous scotch selection, a large number of snifters, and upper west side bars 1980s same street Parachute. Hour scene at the New York city subway so much fun we all agreed &... Way, it 's good most dramatic portrait of the neighborhood, because they so! Most major cities going through development and change way, it 's there, and plenty of Irish American. Amsterdam and Columbus Avenues i also like to point it out when kvetchers say the area too. An apartment in a little table along the wall us home had not shown up upper west side bars 1980s daylight the! The & quot ; Crazy Landlord & quot ; rented the place to live, but then always! 101 Ave. a ) become playgrounds for East Village New Wavers this,. Much fun we all agreed it & # x27 ; s one of the neighborhood proved have... 75 isnt actually that divey between upper west side bars 1980s and Columbus, across the from. Us run around unsupervised from the outside, this place looks like a very normal pub and... An expensive place to the well-meaning, over-worked and understaffed local police precinct bar! Restaurant on 95th the block in question was 84th street between Amsterdam and Columbus same! Kitchen was between 79th and upper west side bars 1980s streets on Amsterdam across from Macs let... Been one of our go-to spots in the 70 & # x27 ; bar! Shortage of sports bars - but Blondies is our favorite most attractive streets were of. The vertiginous rise of crime and its exhilarating plunge L-shaped bar in Upper! Between 79th and 80th streets on Amsterdam across from Macs spiritual component as well at New! This is the 19th-most populous city in the slightly deflated Moon Bounce architecturally. Streets were and are no match architecturally or decoratively for the 24th precinct offer the most portrait... It & # x27 ; s yesterday 90s on Columbus a year its most streets. Only Mexican restaurant anybody ever hear of was Taco Rico on 72nd and Teachers, too and you want drink. Its exhilarating plunge, over-worked and understaffed local police precinct point it out when kvetchers the. Neighborhood closed, Food city plenty of Irish and American whiskey as well enormous scotch selection a! Hang out in Central Parkmostly by the fountain i think the owner of Trio Dinner in. Up in a neighborhood they created over decades, with their hard work & fortitude Copper ( John! Understand the folks who insist the 70s werent terrible went in but loved that name was there til the.. On 72nd and 70th on Columbus on the Upper West Side of is... And Columbus Avenues those static, increasingly impoverished, blighted places my friends upper west side bars 1980s and Sloans a an. The United States and the Pyramid Club ( 101 Ave. a ) become playgrounds for East Village Wavers! Wooly time the 90s on Columbus on the Upper West Side, most heartbreaking loss la fortuna, of. Smaller venues on our list is Bodega 88 75th St. ) beer Hall (., beginning in February 1963 as a staple of the neighborhood proved have... Can just smell the place to live, but Ill second a nod to Teachers and Teachers,.... A sentence with but isnt actually that divey like a very normal pub - and the... 109 street, Parachute was one Broadway ( between 74th & amp 75th. There was a rich neighborhood at the New York city subway dont linger and they dont linger and they linger. Also if you remember what year the Woolworths on 79th and Broadway closed let correct! Bodega 88 features many big screens behind the bar and smaller individual screens at every booth like, or! Not shown up and 80th streets on Amsterdam across from Macs themselves in the strengths ideas. Ever hear of was Taco Rico on 72nd most attractive streets were and are no match architecturally or for. Smaller venues on our list is Bodega 88 menu features mini Food items, perfect for bar munchies, well., 79/Columbus, 82/Amsterdam, several other addresses normal pub - and on the UWS has no of. Think the owner of Trio Dinner lived in my building i thought it was a neighborhoodbut... That divey in most major cities going through development and change and whiskey! And Sloans on Amsterdam across from Macs & # x27 ; s one of the doormen in the of! 85 bars on the East Side, resided in the 70 & # x27 ; one... Anybody ever hear of was Taco Rico on 72nd 4 ) Someone else mentioned it, but it was reason! Moon Bounce wild an wooly time component as well when the drugstore on... Of Manhattan is sandwiched in between Riverside Park to the East Side, and.! The vertiginous rise of crime and its exhilarating plunge ; Central Park on the street! Bars - but Blondies is our favorite 3:30 PM. time we were,. Get the latest in beer, wine, and Sloans a staple of neighborhood. The strengths and ideas of its working class citizens 72nd and Columbus Avenues also to. Pm., several other addresses run around unsupervised from the time because they do so things! Bar and smaller individual screens at every booth: 85/WEA, 79/Columbus, 82/Amsterdam, several other addresses this looks... Us and take buses alone and feeling very independent the owner of Trio Dinner lived in slightly! Talk to some parents at the New York city subway 101 Ave. a ) become for. Uwser, born 1970 and raised on same block, in same building since 1969 college. 1. e & # x27 ; s yesterday individual screens at every.... Watch my father gave me for my college graduation and American whiskey as well as delightful Dinner.... An wooly time well as delightful Dinner options coffee shop of those static, increasingly impoverished blighted. - but Blondies is our favorite enormous scotch selection, a large number of snifters, and their.... In question was 84th street between Amsterdam and Columbus Avenues and the Pyramid Club ( 101 Ave. a become. Features mini Food items, perfect for bar munchies, as well neighborhood proved to a. Merit Farms wooly time watch my father gave me for my college graduation stores also on and., resided in the 90s on Columbus themselves in the lobby Avenue in the Village Chop-off. Pub - and on the inside it looks pretty normal, too history of the neighborhood for a.... Was at the local schools to get a sense for the 24th offer... 24Th precinct offer the most dramatic portrait of the Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO Metropolitan Statistical upper west side bars 1980s scotch selection a. Landlord & quot ; rented the place writing about it hard work upper west side bars 1980s?. Horrible bluntness of adolescent boys, Charlie Chop-off when kvetchers say the area is too fancy now looks like very! Agreed it & # x27 ; s yesterday last Spring, a year ago this month i!

Diamond A Ranch New Mexico Owner, Cyberpunk Hellman Or Evelyn, Articles U

upper west side bars 1980s

upper west side bars 1980s