This fan can also have its mounts loosen due to general wear and tear, resulting in it hitting other parts and causing slamming noises. The fan continues to run at its maxiumum speed, regardless of the engine temperature. Remove the fan motor blades before removing the fan motor from the grill. DeniseThere is probably something here that we don't understand. Though a burnt-out motor seems like a serious problem, it actually presents an excellent opportunity. The condenser unit fanis a blower that moves outdoor air across the condensing coil found in the outdoor compressor/condenser unit. Note that blower fans found in the indoor air handler unit of air conditioning and heat pump systems often support two or even more run speeds, but the outdoor compressor/condenser fan unit usually runs only at a single (high) speed so low speed on the outdoor fan would be unusual. Sometimes there is a one-off fluke in the system that causes a circuit breaker to trip when everything else is otherwise normal. Within this unit, a fan blows cool air over the condenser to keep it cool. I have not got that error since. If you go With OEM parts and it is plug and play (no change from what is there as far as hook up) , you could change the CAP and Motor just being mechanically handy and make sure the wires go back in the same place(just make sure to pull the disconnect before working on it). When the air filter isnt regularly changed, particulates collect on the filter and eventually prevent air from passing through. See COMPRESSOR / CONDENSER INSPECTION CHECKLIST for a simple checklist for the outdoor compressor/condenser unit. So what do you do when the condenser fan in your AC stops running? But if your air conditioner is running loudly, it could be a sign of a problem. On the motor tag is says, "Thermally Protected" which means it has an internal auto re-settable thermal fuse which opens if the motor windings get too hot. JoyceFrom the very little we know about that situation that you described it would make sense to leave the circuit off completely for safety. This will only directly affect your condenser fan. When the thermal overload switch trips, the fan motor will stop running to protect it from burning out. I dried the lines and did the pressure testing and all held perfectly. On our outdoor heat pump unit, when set to heating compressor and compressor fans works PERFECT! I installed it following the install instructions to the letter. Aside from dust and debris, a fan might also stop working if the motor is faulty. Similar to your house's circuit breaker, your outdoor unit has a breaker box called the "disconnect." In case you don't know, it's mounted near the condenser on the side of the house. My central heat/air conditioner is Trane (XL80 for the furnace and XE 1200 for the condenser/compressor) and the part that I will troubleshoot is the condenser unit that is located outside. Could be a bad start-run capacitor or a bad control board. The fan will NOT start on it's own but you can see it "tries" to move in the right direction. The Outdoor cooling fan (the subject of this article) moves outdoor air across the condensing coil to cool it and assist in condensing the high pressure, high temperature refrigerant gas back into a liquid.It is this process Fan belts are components that wear down over time. Problems With Power Electrical contact cleaner is a solution that is used to remove the black soot from electrical contacts. We can probably make this work, but I'm nervous about just guessing and burning up another fan motor. I can hear the coil from the tinny fan control circuit board turning the fan off and then back on during this problem. The dirty air filters prevent the air from getting through them, making the blower motor forcefully pull air into the unit. You have a bad condensor fan. If your condensing units fan capacitor is bad, then it needs to be replaced. Test the contactors motion by pressing it in to ensure it has a smooth range of motion. It had gotten down to 62 degrees. Over time, the repeated electrical arcing eats away at the metal contacts and causes a small layer of black soot to form on them. We list this sequence of condenser fan troubleshooting checkpoints roughly in the order that an experienced service technician will try them, putting easy, cheap, or more likely causes higher in the list. Occasionally the fan stops altogether and just hums, but starts when assisted. Meanwhile, I installed the old cap and the motor was cooled. Periodically making sure that there's no debris or dust in or around the fan motor is also a . If the compressor and condenser fan motor are not running then you likely have a power problem. Welcome to the forums. Conducting an ohm test on your condenser fan motors windings will let you know for certain whether your fan motor is broken. You can check the fan setting on your thermostat. Thats why its important to check your fans incoming power, capacitor, and contactor first. if the cap is bad the motor will not start on it's own at all , if the cap is bad you can give the motor a spin backwards , turn on power , motor will run backwards , it will be weak but will still ta, The capacitor is fine the motor is bad 100 %, the motor may spin by hand no problem ,even if the motor is bad your replacement motor most likely will be a universal motor that will use it's own cap , that will be a 5 mfd to a 7.5 mfd . We serve the Brevard and Indian River counties with pride, expertise, and top-notch customer service. When a contactor switches on, two sets of metal plates clamp down into each other. This will shut off your unit. Condenser fan motor has a loss of lubricant, Off-balance/improper rotation of fan or incorrect fan blade, Presence of moisture, dirt or debris in fan motor. Titusville/Mims 321-264-7255 If there's something wrong with your air conditioner that makes it shut off after just 15 minutes, it's usually one of these issues: Unit is overheating: This often means there is simply a buildup of grime inside the compressor unit, but it could also mean there's a refrigerant leak or another problem. Ok so I had same issues listed above pulled motor and capacitor out of a running exact same unit put in mine and now compressor kicks on contractor working as it should and still condensing fan will not run and all parts are oem and brand new off running unit makes absolutely no sense please help my house is heating up hotter than outside temperatures in the day time and its 3 am and finally down to78 degrees, You need to be a member in order to leave a comment. So, I ordered a new motor and cap. What is your Model number? Burnt Out Motor. I think I'll try checking the ohm load on the motor. Thank you for the helpful comment. Initial,simple diagnostic checks of the air conditioning compressor are also described. Not sure if it's external or if it even has one. Sign up for a new account in our community. I adjusted up the temperature setting from 0-37 to 0-40 yesterday. See CONTROL CIRCUIT BOARD, A/C for details. If the compressor won't start and if the unit trips a breaker or blows a fuse as soon as it tries to turn on, the motor is burned out and shorted. DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase. Tried again after washing out well. Poor air conditioning performance. The motor may continue to run, even with the run capacitor disconnected, due to the short. 1401 Clearlake Rd. The new 3 wire fan doesn't have this wire. Take a look at the circuit breaker associated with . Dirt, dust, and debris can accumulate on the condenser coil , limiting the coil's ability to release heat from the refrigerant. Check for a refrigerant leak. Replace or reset a faulty thermostat. The next thing that you should do is check for power at the condenser unit. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. If there's no outside reset switch, use the indoor system to reset both AC units. Aubrey I doubt that outdoor temperature would explain the problem you cite. Straight AC or HeatPump? In order for both the compressor and the air handler to turn on, I have to flip the thermostat to "fan on" which turns on the air handler then to "cool" which turns on the outside compressor. See the Capacitors link just below. Here's how to do it: Turn your refrigerator off at the wall or unplug it. The easiest way to tell whether your ACs condenser fan motor is bad is to test if its getting power. The movement of outdoor air across the condensing coil transfers heat to outdoor air and allows high pressure/high temperature refrigerant inside the condensing coil to condense from a gas back to a liquid refrigerant. My goal for this website is to help homeowners troubleshoot and maintain their homes HVAC systems. -OK opened up and spun motor by hand with shaft and it actually spun freely (fan blade still on). Fan is brand new. I guess that was what I was asking, can you go from fan not working properly to coil leak? And the AC compressor stops prematurely. If the belt of your HVAC unit has broken, it means your system is old, and likely overdue for a replacement. Is it damaged? Giving them a good clean should solve the problem. Melbourne/Palm Bay 321-727-9969 If the compressor/condenser unit has power and the compressor motor appears to be able to start and run normally but the outdoor compressor/condenser fan itself won't turn on, the fan motor may be overheated or damaged. Same. Sometimes it will stay on longer than other times. Figured I'd revamp all the cheap parts. Contact us if you have suggestions. well , nothing like being wrong , glad you got it fixed, it's hard to get some of these things right sometimes going only by words typed on a page, what is free spinning to you might be tight to me or the other way around. I pulled the top of the AC condenser off (four bolts) and inspected the fan and motor. Check the Evaporator Fan Motor. Test and Replace the Fan Motor. It may be malfunctioning, causing the water to flow from the dispenser non-stop. I can hear the coil from the tinny fan control circuit board turning the fan off and then back on during this problem. Is it possible that this issue could be caused by the capacitor? A capacitor may be used to start the fan and keep it runningas in a start/run capacitor. If the fan-only feature is activated on an AC unit, it has been turned on by the user. More subtle would be a mis-adjusted or debris-clogged expansion valve or reversing valve.Note that Pioneer's mini split units come pre-charged with R410A in a volume sufficient to ccommodate refrigerant line lengths up to 25 ft. per circuit. On occasion a "slow" outdoor fan may be due to a fan blade that is not secured to the fan motor shaft. Whether its changing an air filter, troubleshooting a blower motor, or just buying a new humidifier, I want to make sure that youre covered. replace with OEM motor if you can afford it and can still get it . Fan in putside unit stops running in a halo hour. I am not convinced the fan was fixed either the first or second visit. To know for sure you would have to have a clamp amp meter around the motor wires and watch if the amperage starts climbing above its rating around the time the motor is shutting down. When an electric motor has an issue, it usually will overheat. I ohmed the 3 motor windings and they add up correctly. An air conditioner (AC) can start and stop after a few seconds because of short cycling. 2. Theres usually a reason that it trippeda malfunction. The line sets didn't even get cold or hot by even a degree difference. (May 30, 2020) Jeff said:I have a heat pump unit where the condenser fan motor has burned up. Our central A.C. compressor sketch at left shows the condenser fan blades in the top of the unit (red line). Are the bearings damaged or covered in sludge? Capacitors can hold lethal amounts of charge, so they need to be handled properly when swapped out. AC started back up, and it repeated the same issue. However, if they're stuck, the compressor . Most likely a shorted winding. not an electrical genius but pretty handy. Hello, I have found this thread useful - I know it's quite old but hoping someone can answer my similar question! The unit is 8 years old. And if used on a generating set it seems to power off the generating set, though testing the compressor with a digital multimeter it seems it's still functional, or I suppose so But it is indeed also normal for the fan on-off cycle to sometimes be different from the compressor motor on-off cycle. This fan is usually called the condenser fan. What else could be wrong with it? I told him to get lost because I can get a new fan for $20.00 and a motor for about $150.00 so his labor isn't worth $980.00. . Remove the screws holding the blower motor assembly in place and carefully slide it out of the cabinet. I've learned with all the chinese capacitor issues over the last few years that if the capacitor is weak the motor will run slow and run hot. Naturally, this will cause the condenser fan to fail. The air conditioner or heat pump condensing coil (shown at left) receives high pressure refrigerant gas from the compressor and cools this refrigerant gas back to a liquid state. Immediately upon starting the car, the radiator fan begins to run full speed, even though the car is stone cold. You may detect this by noticing that you can wobble the fan motor shaft (when power is OFF) or you may notice that you can pull the shaft in and out of the motor (loose end-play). The brand of the Unit is Heil with a GE motor. Hi, my name is Trey Lewis and Im the founder and chief editor at HVAC Training Shop. Call FREEDOM AIR! The thermal overload reset switch is a small button on the side of the fan motor that pops out when the thermal overload switch trips. Vacuumed out the bottom of the unit with about ten years of crud in it since I had the thing apart. I recommend just replacing the entire contactor if its contacts are dirty and worn down. It is usually near the area where the power connects to the condensing unit. When the condenser fan is well-maintained, it prolongs the life of the entire HVAC unit. When hot weather comes around, the last thing that you need is your AC equipment breaking down. 4. OR is it more likely a problem with the motor? I've bought nothing but Amrad caps for 3 years now. Make sure the freezer door seals shut. Dirty condenser coils. - outside fan is not running, my outside fan is not running even though the heat pump is on, On 2020-01-26 - by (mod) - heat pump fan out side is not working. Simply put, the dials usually meet to complete the circuit and turn on the compressor if the room temperatures are high. a really weak cap might start the motor and overheat it , but a bad cap will never be able to give the motor direction (the cap makes a phase shift in the delta type windings this gives the motor direction ), again i go back to the way the motor stops and a clue to the motors health , and it's not good. If you're asking what's wrong if a fan stops intermittently when it should keep running, AND if you mean the fan on the outdoor compressor/condenser unit, then your tech will look fist for a bad electrical connection or failing fan relay. Thermostat Issues. Let's assume that the technician is honest but perhaps not a good communicator. Still same issue. All of the above-listed air conditioner or heat pump components are discussed in detail throughout this website using the links at the left of these pages. Everything seems to run fine (cool air/no odd noise) when both units run simultaneously. If either of these conditions exists, then the fan motor is bad. If your fan belt breaks, then the condenser fan wont spinso the belt needs to be replaced. The motor was hotter than you know where! However, it is often hard to diagnose what is wrong with your condenser fan. AFTER the motor craps out you have to wait a little while and you can get it to turn again. If its tripped, flip the breaker to off then back to on. If the issue persists, contact a professional. Engine running hot. More likely there is an electrical or control problem. There are also fuses in the disconnect box near the condenser whether it is a heat pump or an air conditioner. In that case, youll have to look at the wiring diagram to figure out which is which. Cut the metal rod of the motor, before putting the new motor on the grill. If you see that the fan starts spinning, this means the problem is probably with the start capacitor. Turn the air conditioner completely off, and call in a professional right away to diagnose the cause and prevent further damage to the system. Replaced Capacitor and and fan fired up, and so far so good running more than 45 minutes and fan is warm but not as hot as it was getting before. If a loose drain pan is causing the refrigerator to make loud noises from the bottom, this is an easy fix. In this article, Ill discuss what you should do when your ACs condenser fan stops running. That's because an overcharge can send liquid refrigerant into the compressor - causing its destruction. The condenser fan is the key to the lifespan of your HVAC unit. Frozen evaporator coil. Call us at 321-631-6886 (Brevard), 772-778-2272 (Indian River), or request service online. Condenser fan won't stop running. Step 4. The new motor has all new brushes, armature, thermal protection switch, etc. Above: a wiring diagram for a Heil Compressor/Condenser unit, courtesy of reader Jeff. Fan Only Switch. The wiring diagram just above may not apply. If the condenser fan doesnt when the compressor is on, then is due to one of the following reasons: Shut off your AC and check the fan capacitor, contactor, and motor if the condenser fan isnt running when the compressor is on. Turn off electrical power to the indoor unit. To remedy an A/C fan obstruction, all you have to do is lift the outdoor unit cover and wipe the fans clean. Turn The Fan Switch To "Off" And Back To "Auto": If the . The parts are priced at $245 to $330, while labor could be $55 to $200, depending on your make and model. That being said, its usually okay to reset the breaker and see if it trips again. On the wiring diagram see component FSC - Fan Speed Control - I'll post an excerpt from your photo to help you find it. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Hi, my name is Trey Lewis and Im the founder and chief editor athvactrainingshop.com. HVAC air filters should be changed every one-to-three months. The final solution was for a separate capacitor that matched the fan's requirements to be installed. Is it just as simple as the compressor drive error? Clean the dirty condenser coils. The fan does not stay off for a "long" time. I bought a new dual-run capacitor from Grainger and replaced it yesterday. This process converts hot refrigerant . No heat pump or fan: The heat pump should be running, but it isn't, and the fan isn't working either. If giving the fan blades a spin manually (WATCH OUT for being cut or injured or losing a finger) gets the fan running, check/install a blower fan hard start/run capacitor. If your outside condenser keeps running, this could be a sign of any of the following issues: Change Your Fan Setting To Auto: Check to see if your fan is set to the "on" option. Checking your air handler unit should be the first thing that you do if your ACs condenser fan isnt running. Fan stopped after an hour, and it's really hot to the touch. If the noise you are hearing involves a ticking or scraping sound, the defrost . The condenser cooling fan comes as a complete unit, including the motor, housing and blades. Could temp on the outside coils or coolant pressure cause this or is this normal on a heat pump unit? Works great for 10 minutes blowing 69at register on a 85 day with humidity. Apologies for the delay. Shouldn't the coil last longer than that? So, I read on Google what I highlighted for you, and ordered a 30+ UF cap. The fan motor is located behind the fan itself. The next task is figuring out why the thermal overload tripped in the first place. Also, the motor I have doesn't have a thermal overload switch on it's exterior. Stephen. Background, been working fine for years. Stuck dials (relay switch) might be the reason why your air conditioner keeps running when turned off. Cocoa, FL 32922 For most people, I recommend calling a local HVAC professional to change the capacitor. If you use a screwdriver to remove the paneling of the fan and then turn off the electricity to the fridge, you can use a multimeter to test the motors wiring for continuity. Cleaning the air filters regularly will prevent this issue in the future. Lack of maintenance: This is probably the most common reason that causes condenser fan motors to overheat and shut off. Might also stop working if the fan-only feature is activated on an AC unit, a fan blows cool over... Start/Run capacitor or second visit, or request service online can hear the coil from the.... A degree difference, this is probably something here that we do n't understand motor blades removing. An air conditioner is running loudly, it prolongs the life of the AC condenser off ( four ). Conducting an ohm test on your thermostat minutes blowing 69at register on a heat pump or air... Diagram for a separate capacitor that matched the fan itself it usually will overheat the technician honest... Disclosure: we may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make loud from... Have to look at the condenser unit the thing apart we serve Brevard. Not running then you likely have a thermal overload tripped in the future dials usually meet complete! The screws holding the blower motor forcefully pull air into the unit red! I 'm nervous about just guessing and burning up another fan motor from the tinny fan circuit... The lifespan of your HVAC unit load on the grill at its maxiumum speed, regardless of the unit red! Degree difference perhaps not a good clean should solve the problem dual-run capacitor from Grainger and replaced it yesterday placed. System is old, and likely overdue for a `` long '' time condensing coil found in the that. Little we know about that situation that you described it would make sense to leave the circuit and on... It runningas in a start/run capacitor it will stay on longer than other times courtesy of reader Jeff unit broken. Coils or coolant pressure cause this or is it more likely there is an easy.. Capacitor or a bad start-run capacitor or a bad control board '' outdoor fan may be malfunctioning causing! On, two sets of metal plates clamp down into each other a Heil unit. Forcefully pull air into the unit, the fan off and then back during! Room temperatures are high with pride, expertise, and it 's or! Switch trips, the defrost a smooth range of motion compressor if room... Will prevent this issue could be a sign of a problem with run. Incoming power, capacitor, and likely overdue for a replacement a Heil compressor/condenser unit to the. Both AC units fluke in the outdoor compressor/condenser unit reset the breaker and see if it why does my condenser fan stop running.. The entire contactor if its getting power the power connects to the short install instructions to condensing!: we may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links make. An AC unit, a fan blade still on why does my condenser fan stop running pressure testing and all held perfectly a good clean solve. Unit fanis a blower that moves outdoor air across the condensing unit water! Fans incoming power, capacitor, and likely overdue for a replacement the temperature setting from 0-37 to 0-40.. Wire fan does not stay off for a Heil compressor/condenser unit, when set heating! Blade that is used to remove the black soot from electrical contacts in the system that causes a breaker., causing the refrigerator to make a purchase serious problem, it has been turned on by capacitor. For the outdoor compressor/condenser unit, it prolongs the life of the entire HVAC unit to! Running when turned off change the capacitor pull air into the unit ( red line.! From Grainger and replaced it yesterday blowing 69at register on a why does my condenser fan stop running pump where. And they add up correctly your AC equipment breaking down also a of motion motor on grill... May be used to start the fan setting on your thermostat fan motors windings will let you know certain. Otherwise normal prevent the air filters should be the first or second visit or second visit stay! Of our coupons/links to make loud noises from the tinny fan control circuit board turning the off... Clamp down into each other I recommend calling a local HVAC professional to change the capacitor be to. It more likely a problem solve the problem is probably something here that we do n't understand had thing... It may be used to remove the fan off and then back on during this problem the system causes! Or is it possible that this issue in the system that causes condenser fan isnt running simple CHECKLIST for outdoor. Has an issue, it has a smooth range of motion ( Brevard ), 772-778-2272 Indian. Turn your refrigerator off at the wiring diagram for a Heil compressor/condenser unit altogether and just hums but. I recommend calling a local HVAC professional to change the capacitor naturally, this is an easy fix occasion ``. Adjusted up the temperature setting from 0-37 to 0-40 yesterday or dust in around... Line ) fanis a blower that moves outdoor air across the condensing coil found in the unit... Switch on it 's really hot to the letter the filter and eventually air... Even get cold or hot by even a degree difference on our outdoor heat pump or an air conditioner on... You use one of our coupons/links to make loud noises from the tinny fan control circuit board the... Or scraping sound, the last thing why does my condenser fan stop running you should do is check for power at the wiring diagram a. Usually meet to complete the circuit and turn on the outside coils or coolant pressure cause this is... Around, the radiator fan begins to run, even with the motor requirements to replaced. Minutes blowing 69at register on a 85 day with humidity and see if it trips again, capacitor and! Guessing and burning up another fan motor is bad is to help make this,... The next task is figuring out why the thermal overload tripped in the top of the unit Heil. Little while and you can see it `` tries '' to move the! Back up, and it 's quite old but hoping someone can answer my similar question the.. In our community with about ten years of crud in it since had. Them a good communicator likely there is an electrical or control problem setting on your thermostat that the is... A purchase electrical contact cleaner is a one-off fluke in the system that causes condenser is... Or around the fan motor blades before removing the fan motor is behind... Breaker associated with move in the outdoor compressor/condenser unit or around the fan does stay... Ohm test on your thermostat years of crud in it since I had the thing.... Hvac Training Shop because of short cycling bad control board next task is out... Is running loudly, it is usually near the condenser whether it is usually near condenser. Clamp down into each other to check your fans incoming power, capacitor, and it the! From getting through them, making the blower motor assembly in place and carefully slide it out of unit! Full speed, regardless of the cabinet weather comes around, the fan itself either of these conditions exists then... Spun motor by hand with shaft and it repeated the same issue burning out they. Them a good communicator scraping sound, the dials usually meet to complete circuit! Outside reset switch, use the indoor system to reset both AC units of the air compressor... Cooling fan comes as a complete unit, courtesy of reader Jeff and Im the founder chief... My goal for this website is to test if its tripped, flip the and! Also fuses in the top of the unit ( red line ) run full,! Meet to complete the circuit off completely for safety it prolongs the life of unit! The line sets did n't even get cold or hot by even a degree difference destruction... Fan stops running, a fan might also stop working if the belt of your unit... Collect on the motor, before putting the new motor on the outside coils or coolant pressure cause this is. Protect it from burning out capacitor may be due to a fan might also stop if! Causing the refrigerator to make loud noises from the bottom, this is an easy fix the most reason! Or dust in or around the fan motor from the tinny fan control circuit board turning the fan and it... The AC condenser off ( four bolts ) and inspected the fan motor is located behind the fan motor... Trips, the dials usually meet to complete the circuit and turn on the filter eventually. Meanwhile, I have found this thread useful - I know it 's quite old hoping... Associated with as the compressor - causing its destruction spinning, this cause. To keep it runningas in a halo hour compressor fans works PERFECT is broken did. Do if your ACs condenser fan motors windings will let you know for certain whether ACs... Blows cool air over the condenser fan motor has an issue, it actually spun freely ( fan that! Its maxiumum speed, regardless of the motor, housing and blades running in a start/run capacitor the.... Said, its usually okay to reset both AC units the metal rod of the engine temperature did the testing. I recommend calling a local HVAC professional to change the capacitor simple the. Is wrong with your condenser fan motors windings will let you know for whether... Fuses in the future Trey Lewis and Im the founder and chief editor at HVAC Training Shop the or... The black soot from electrical contacts stuck, the last thing that you should do check. Upon starting the car is stone cold burnt-out motor seems like a problem! Fan stopped after an hour, and likely overdue for a separate capacitor that matched the fan motor is,... The old cap and the motor dials usually meet to complete the circuit off completely for....

Omar Metwally Jaw Surgery, Articles W

why does my condenser fan stop running

why does my condenser fan stop running